Sunday, September 18, 2011

Drive



After a wedding yesterday I had some time to kill before the reception, so I figured I'd catch a movie. After a quick check on my smart phone, I chose a movie called Drive. I recall seeing the previews once or twice, and the reviews were in the 90%+ range. This movie blew me away, way better than I could have ever expected!

I love car movies as much as the next gearhead, but let's face it, they are often mediocre movies at best which only shine thanks to the cars. This movie was different. From the start, this movie had that 1980's feel, thanks to the neon pink opening credits, followed up by, and continued throughout the movie, music that could easily have been made in the early to mid 1980's. Whatever film technique they used, it also felt like a dated style, similar to movies from the 1970's and 1980's.

This was film noir at it's finest. The blood and gore was reminiscent of a Quentin Tarantino film, not for the weak stomach crowd. The car chase scenes spectacular, if not a bit too short. Had they extended the Mustang/300 chase scene it easily could have been elevated to the level of Steve McQueen/Bullitt, as one couldn't help but watch, and even envision the 300 as a new Charger.

This particular chase scene got me thinking. There are so many modern V8 rear wheel drive cars to choose from, there really isn't a reason to trash any more classic cars in movies. While I would be hesitant to say trashing the more limited/out of production cars such as GTO's, G8's, Magnums, etc, we have plenty current stock to choose from. Vettes, Vipers (soon), Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, CTS-V's, Chargers, and 300's. That is a healthy stock of iron in my opinion, and most are instant classics that will garner nearly as much excitement on the big screen as their classic counter parts.

So needless to say, I would highly recommend checking out Drive, and maybe if we're lucky, be treated to a modern rendition of Bullitt some time in the future, complete with new Charger/Mustang tearing up the streets.

No comments: