Saturday, August 06, 2011

Downtown Mount Clemens Car Show

I hit the garage first thing this morning, in hopes of riding my ride of the annoying constant miss while driving. I had three seperate issues in which I believed were causing the problem, and I went 0-3, perhaps even making the miss worse, though drivability did seem improved. I first ran a new ground for my MSD box, to the block instead of the engine, as I was skeptical whether the location on the frame was a sufficient ground. Of course, out of the hundreds of bolts I have, only one had the correct thread, and it proved to be too long, requiring me to stack washers in order to tighten it down. (a temporary fix).

Next up, I thought that the engine may be running a bit lean and decided to bump the jets up 3 sizes, front and rear. This move would soon prove to be wrong, only due to issue number three, which wasn't on my list, but was discovered. Upon last carb rebuild I had neglected to reinstall plugs on the side vacuum ports on the carb. I fired up the engine, and sure enough, both ports were sucking vacuum. This immediately made me realize that my lean speculation was likely caused by these vacuum leaks, and not from the jets. Of course, after digging through the tool box I could only locate one plug. It's a good thing I keep all the extra gaskets and old parts whenever I rebuild a carb, as the vacuum plugs were found with all the old parts.

When I started the engine, it seemed more responsive, a better idle, and I was hopeful my problems were solved. I did immediately notice thanks to my burning eyes that the engine seems way too rich now, just as I feared after located those uncapped ports. I decided to give it a shot just the same and call it a day, I need to pick up a few more sets of fuel bowl gaskets any way, as I used my last set for this jet swap.

I waited out the storm for a few hours, then figured I'd hit the road during the clearing. I arrived at the show to a somewhat disappointing 50 or so cars. According the the DJ, it sounded like most cars left during that first storm. I was hoping that since the skies started to clear, people would come back, but I was wrong. After an hour or so at the show, I figured I'd take the scenic route home, heading west over to Woodward, which I'll talk about in a minute. As for the engine miss, it's still there, but I have a few other ideas up my sleeve.


002


I waited until the first storm passed, then rolled the dice and headed to the show. Seems most attendees got an early start today, and called it quits when that first storm hit.


013


A nice 57 Chevy.

017


Good looking GTO.


019


One wicked ass Mopar, complete with chute out back.


022


One has to wonder, if not for Back to the Future, would very many people even know what a Delorean is? Would it be nearly as cool as most of us feel it is?


025


Sweet Street Rod with some very tasteful pinstriping along the running boards and fenders.



2011 Mount Clemens Car Show

No comments: