Friday, August 05, 2011

1968 Plymouth Roadrunner - One owner car



The other day while out with a neighbor for the annual nickel beers at The Dakota Inn, I got to talk with one of the long time regulars. I had met John many times and was full well aware he had an old Roadrunner that yanked the wheels off the ground upon launch. I didn't however know the history behind the car, or his own personal history of racing.


I dug a little deeper this time during our conversation, as I continue to map out each and every detail of restoration on my dad's 1970 Challenger. After my questions regarding my dad's car, I inquired about his car. I was shocked to find that he bought his 1968 Roadrunner in 1968, new off the dealer lot. Next question was obviously "How long you been racing it?" Which was also a bit of a shocker, as the car has been raced since 1972! Gone is the original 383, replaced with a 440, which lays down consistant 9.30's all day. He now tours the midwest racing in the IHRA's points system. He was proud to say that at one time he was rated the #3 racer in his class in the nation!


I can't say there are too many racers who have cars they bought new, and now are their designated race cars. Or even cars with as much rich racing history as John's, in which they didn't sell off years ago. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to say I bought a muscle car new, as I'm not sure I'll bring myself to drop the coin. Even if I didn't, I no there is no way it would be my regular race car after just 4 years of use. I've never watched John run at the track, but I hope to make an effort to see his mighty Mopar make a 1/4 blast some time in the coming years.

No comments: