Monday, April 04, 2011

Mid-Life Crisis: Sorry, I'm not qualified

While I'm not there yet, the thought crossed my mind the other day. I'm now married, we have our first child, both of us have stable jobs, and I'm knocking on 35 years old. For me, I've always thought "mid-life" applies to those in their mid-40's to mid-50's. The typical Amercican family (or perhaps a recently divorced male/female), likely with teenagers, or perhaps grown kids. Maybe they had to sell off their toys long ago, or maybe they were never in a position to enjoy toys in life. In a nutshell, that's what I've always considered "mid-life crisis."

Now however, I question the validity of this so called "crisis." When I look in the mirror, and I consider where I am in life, I simply can't even begin to comprehend a "crisis" 10-15 years from now. Maybe I'm amongst the exceptions to the rule out there, one of the lucky ones.

At age 15, I already had a car, and it was rear wheel drive, V8 powered, and manually shifted via the 5 speed. When that car got cracked up, I replaced it with an even cooler V8 rear wheel drive 69 Camaro, that was by age 19. By 23, I built my first engine that broke the 500 hp barrier. Today, that car (with nitrous added) is knocking on the 900-1,000 hp door.

While I can't say I still own my first car, My current 1989 (same year) Pontiac Formula 350 in Maui Blue (also same) is about as close as you can get, minus the 5 speed, but with an extra 45 cubes and better handling. Slide behind the wheel, and I feel as though I've stepped back in time to 1994, pop in some 1980's Metalica and it's a done deal, though my bald had has replaced the buzz cut.

Sadly, the job market forced my hand and required the sale of my second muscle car, a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T, which I had bought by age 24. Still, the fact that my dad now owns it, the sale was relatively painless, and I'm confident I will own that car again some day.

Aside from a hand-me-down 1990 Buick Regal, which served me admirably, I have only owned V8/rear wheel drive fun-on-wheels. I've admittedly had it pretty good, with maybe my only regret being that I went nearly a decade without my Camaro or Challenger being roadworthy. As for my wife? What can I say? The Camaro is off limits for sale as far as she is concerned. While perhaps she'd let the Formula go, why would we? The market for it in the condition it's in and mileage makes it a pretty mute point. She's only ever drove Dodge Dakota trucks, and wants a classic Mopar some day, preferably an early 1960's. A Dodge Caravan? (or any other mini van) not gonna happen on her watch, as she refuses to EVER own one of those hideous contraptions.

So considering I won't be the guy without any toys by "mid-life," how would people view any toys I bought during that period in my life? I wouldn't mind a Corvette some day, but considering my Camaro makes more power than anything on the road from factory, a Corvette would be a good handling car I could putz around in, and wouldn't be anywhere near the king of my stable. What about project cars? Considering I've "been there, done that," why would the age in which I would start a project change a thing?

Mid-life crisis? I'm convinced that such a term is reserved by those who are jealous, unable to obtain the toys from their past, or maybe life never offered up the opportunity to ever aquire those toys. I would hardly label somebody FINALLY able to get that car, or perhaps Harley they've always wanted, as having a crisis. How about Mid-life reward? A bit more fitting of term if you ask me.

No comments: