Monday, November 29, 2010

Little Gearhead

Today, I sit in the hospital awaiting the arrival of my first born child. It all started last night as I arrived home from work. Shortly after, my wife comes into the kitchen to announce "My pants are all wet," which was a sure tell sign that her water broke. Like a racer in the staging lanes, we both put on our game faces and got down to business. We packed our "to go" bag in record time, then proceeded to leave the pillows and pair of slippers behind. Hey, considering everything we remembered, I don't think we did too bad.

We arrived at the hospital around 00:30 hrs, and here it is 12 hrs later, still waiting. As a first time father, I can't even begin to describe the anticipation. While I publicly declare I want a boy, truth be told, I'd be just as estatic to discover it's a girl.

So what does this have to do with automotive enthusiasm? It's a passing of the torch, or perhaps sharing of the torch, or even the thought of teaching a little person how to build the torch, fuel the torch, ignite the torch, and how that torch can fullfill that burning desire, that need for speed.

Car restoration, automotive racing, and car shows are all something in which one can share with a child at any age. I have a deep desire to not only race my Camaro, but continue my quest to save other cars, and preserve America's automotive history. I am blessed with the skills and passion to pass along to my child and future children. I often think back to the picture my dad took of me on his 1973 Dodge Charger SE, I wonder if it was that car that instilled the passion in me to this day...long after dad let that one get away. Hopefully, any car I take a picture of with my little tikes on, I won't let get away.

Until next time, when we'll be ridin' 3 deep!

No comments: