Wednesday, November 10, 2010

1980's Chevy Caprice

My infatuation with the 1980's Chevy Caprice continues. I can't really put a finger upon what it is, but I can tell you what it isn't. It isn't the ugly ass, butchered up Caprices I see rolling through the hood. With their Lambo doors, bright colors, and stupid ass 24" rims and 4x4 stance. They really aren't that great of a looking car, but there is just something about them that grows on me. I like the menacing wide 80's style grill, and the tail lights just seemed right during an era when so many were wrong. The interiors were you typical 80's flare, nothing to right home about. Nor were the engines under the hood, which were usually underpowered 305's.

With all that is wrong, I still envision the potential they have everytime I see one. While I don't have a concrete game plan in my head, the jist of it would be:

Lowered, though not dragging in the weeds.
Nice set of rims and tires, in the 17-18" ballpark.
Removal of most of the chrome/stainless crap, aside from the bumpers.
Lastly, a solid powertrain consisting of either a big block chevy, or possibly of the LS series of engines. Maybe even a 6 speed tossed in for good measure.

I just feel that so many of these cars get the hack job treatment, and you seldom see one "done right" in my opinion. How about even a Pro Street or Pro Touring example? Recently I saw such an example, but it was the first one to date in my memory.

Here is a shining example, though I don't dig the 50's theme and pinstrips, the flat black I could live with...though the hood scoop ruins it for me. Still, this one is a lot closer to what I'm thinking than most examples on the road.


No comments: