Monday, January 08, 2007

GM, Ford, and Chrysler seem to be back on track

In recent times things didn't look too good for the Big 3 (or 2.5 if you prefer). In fact, the demise for a few of them had become a very realistic scenario. I think the horizon looks very promising, especially after the early news coming out of the press pre-2007 North American International Auto Show.

All three seem to have gone back to what had made them so popular back in the day, their styling. For as hard as the import market tries, they have never came close to touching the best styling the Big 3 have designed over the years. Now that isn't to say that the Big 3 haven't lost their way, as I feel their best designs occured from the 1930's up until around 1972. After that, there were a few designs that I liked, but nothing like it used to be, years which pre-dated my life. The later half of the 1970's were quite possibly some of the worst years ever in my mind. Hardly a car I'd touch from that era, aside from Camaros and Firebirds. The Mustang II, well, how could they honestly even call that pile of ugliness a Mustang? The 1980's saw a few more models trickle out here and there, but for the most part the industry continued down it's path of blandness.

Now, fastward to today. Everything I have seen thus far that the media has reported on from the show has looked very good for the Big 3. GM appears to be leading the pack with the widest array of concepts and new styles. Ford should really shake things up with it's announced joint venture with Microsoft. There is no denying that we live in a multimedia age. If somebody can implement music on demand, text messaging, voice activiation, and so many other cutting edge technologies into a car, people will take a second look at the cars you have to offer.

While I haven't seen much from Chrysler thus far, their Jeep Trailhawk looks pretty sweet. It takes the Jeep styling to a new level. While retaining it's heritage look, the roof appears lower, the front more swept back, a raked windshield, bigger fender flares, more body lines, and all around tougher look.

You can bet I'll be making at least 2 trips to the auto show this year, armed with my camera both times. I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures and report back on my opinions on what I saw. Don't expect much in regards to imports, as they've never done much for me, but if something catches my eye I'll be sure to let you know.

No comments: