Saturday, January 13, 2007

2007 North American International Auto Show

I have to say that for the Big 3, this is quite possibly the best NAIAS I have ever been to. The cars and concepts were all very well done and top notch. Signs that all three are heading in the right direction were quite apparent. I'm going to post a lot of pictures along with a brief opinion, in most cases. You will notice that the vast majority of the cars will be from the Big 3, as I'm not much of an import fan, though I will throw in a few here and there. Trucks and SUV's will also be lacking, as neither one are of much interest to me either. So let me get started.



Camaro Convertible




One of the biggest attractions of the show, and one of my personal favorites, was the Camaro convertible concept which will go on sale in 2009. Currently packing a 400 hp LS2, independent rear suspension, and estimated to knock down over 30 mpg highway, it's the perfect muscle car. It will compete in the trifecta of power against the Mustang and Challenger. I still plan on making this my next car when it comes out, though I'm undecided on whether or not it will be a convertible.
Ford Airstream


Here we have the Ford Airstream, based upon the silver travel trailers from back in the day. While not nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be, I was still left scratching my head wondering why you would build a concept based upon a trailer. Though with the popularity of the Honda Element and that Scion cube lookin' thing (which also baffles me), perhaps this could be a hit as well if they were to build it.

Ford MKR



Ford honestly had some really kickass vehicles on display, this one being one of the two in which really stuck out, the Lincoln MKR. This is quite possibly one of the best looking Lincolns I have ever seen. I would change the tail end a bit, as it suffers from that fatass look that the C5 Vette initially suffered from, but aside from that, build it as is. Even the interior looked very rich.


Ford Interceptor







Here is the other Ford concept that really caught my eye, the Interceptor. Where the Lincoln MKR has a sleek style that screams luxury, the Interceptor has the high beltline, bulging fenders, and hump hood that screams American muscle. It has a boldness that makes it look as if it's the bully of the block. Very impressed with this concept, as well as another great looking interior.


Dodge Avenger



This is the Dodge Avenger. Nothing really over the top, yet style an aggressive looking midsize car. The body lines on the blonde aren't too shabby either.



Chrysler Nassau




I really liked this Chrysler Nassau, which is likely to be the direction the next generation 300 will follow. Good looking car. It was hard to tell for sure, but the interior looks rather cheap, espcially for a concept when vehicles often go over the top with details that will never see production.

Plum Crazy


B5 Blue


A couple of Chargers in nostalgic tones. I really dig these cars, especially the 425 hp SRT versions.



Sebring


The new Sebring by Chrysler is a kickass little ride. I like it better than the Avenger personally. This one has a performance kit I believe. This styling is tons better than the Sebring it replaced and will surely be a good seller.


Mad Max style Viper in flat black


Viper red

600 hp and styling that never gets old, the Viper marches on to yet another rendition.


Corvette Z06


Not to be left out of the party, this Z06 is said to be on track for a power boost to the tune of 650 supercharged ponies. Take that Viper!


Mustang Cobra GT500

Here we have the Ford Mustang Cobra GT500. With retro styling, 500 hp, what more can I say about it? It is worthy to play with the big dogs for sure.




Italian Mustang







Here is an effort to create an Italian Mustang. Ford teamed up with an Italian designer and this is what they came up with. While I like many areas of this vehicle, there were certain things that struck me as cheap. Most notably were the louvar plexiglass 1/4 windows that looked super cheap. I really like the gull wing doors and wonder how long before these will be offered from factory on more cars aside from Italian exotics. This rendition also has one sweet ass on it, though the triangle exhaust and molding look like some cheap aftermarket bolt-on.

Volt





Ok, forget everything I've said about hybrids and electric cars, this baby is the tits! I'd drive this thing in a heartbeat, especially if it has at least respectable acceleration.



New Malibu




The new Malibu is a vast improvement over the current design. While not over the top, it has some decent styling to it. More importantly is the interior is pretty sweet. Is it just me or does the rear look a lot like a Volvo?


Now for a few I didn't especially like.


Ford Focus concept



After seeing the very exciting other products Ford had on display, I was very disappointed to see the Focus, as was everybody else judging by how few people surrounded the display during presentations. This is typical Ford bland styling in which I thought they were getting away from. Look at that interior! It looks like something out of the 80's. Apparently they are hoping that their teaming up with Microsoft to offer a bunch of hi-tech goodies will be enough to sway people to buy it. As it is, it looks dated by today's standards and isn't due out for another year or so.


Smart?


Here we have the Smart car, coming to America soon. Seriously, it won't seem so Smart when one of these things get plastered by an H2 or Escalade and they are scraping the remnants of the passengers off the interior door panels. I can honestly say that I'd feel safer riding a motorcycle, without a helmet, with bald tires, during freezing rain. If you stop by this display check out how far the vehicle lowers when two people get in at once, you're talking a good 1.5-2 inch drop! I still can't get over the thought of one of these babies getting t-boned by just about any other vehicle on the road. It'll be like a pinball game the way it'll bounce off it's surroundings.

FT-HS





Here we have a Toyota concept, apparently they have decided that they no longer want their products to look bland. Unfortunately, they still can't seem to grasp the concept of style. This piece of shit looks like some 16 year olds car who bought every ground effects kit the J.C. Whitney catalog had to offer. Toss in some aftermarket tail lights that were intended for another vehicle, though made to somewhat fit, and you have this pile. Only thing missing was the led lights on the windshield squirters and a couple of nos bottles. I've seen some real hack job kit cars that look better than this.




Their Lexus concept looked a bit better. Yet still, what is up with those gaudy ass J.C. Whitney ground effects again? You don't even see most kids ruining their cars to this extent any more. The whole "My ground effects are bigger than yours" fad seems to have finally died off.





Ok, now that I've thoroughly ripped on a few cars due to their god aweful ground effects, I must admit, I kinda like this one by Chevy. I think maybe perhaps it's because it reminds me of penny poppers. Remember those? They were wind up cars from my childhood in which you'd stick a penny in the back of them and they'd ride a wheelie. Everything about the styling of this car is what I'm typically anti towards, yet this little shittin' thing looks fun! It kind of reminds me of a Ford Focus that has been pumped with some serious horse steriods, and a face put on it that says "Get outta my way or I'll eat you." It's like a mini tank or something. I can't explain it, but I like it.


Saab concept


Ok, it's pouring down rain, you run to the car, to get in you have to open the roof. In turn, your seats and interior get soaked....idiots. Who comes up with this stuff?

Back to some more positive designs.

New CTS



As far as I'm concerned, Cadillac makes the best of the best. In my opinion, there is no other car line in the world that has as strong of a line up as them. The styling has been restored to the luxury level that it once represented, though got lost for a few decades. The power of the new CTS has been bumped to 300 hp from a 3.6 liter direct injection V6. You either love or hate the styling, there is not in between, and I find it to be very attractive and cutting edge. I talked to one of the builders from the Lansing plant on hand at the show for questions. He and his fellow coworkers are very excited about this and the other Cadillac products they build. He agreed with me, GM has got most of their past troubles figured out and are heading in the right direction. He anticipates demand for the new CTS to require much OT to mean public demand.




Couple of cool GM SUV concepts.


HHR Panel

Panel version of the HHR with two tone paint, very cool!

The following car requires that you listen to the song below, or you won't understand the point I'm trying to make.




Holden Efijy







I saved the best for last. If there was ever a niche vehicle in which GM should build, this is it. This concept was built by GM's Australian division, Holden. After building the SSR, there is no reason why a plan to build this one shouldn't be followed through. There were multiple reasons the SSR failed, most all the same reason the Ford Thunderbird failed. Both were doomed from the get go.

The SSR was a 5,300 lb pig built on an SUV chassis, the Thunderbird a 4,000 pound pig that was suppose to be a 2 seat sports car, 4,000 does not = 2 seat sports car. Both vehicles were launched with engines that when combined with their massive weights, were slow. The weight came into factor in regards to handling as well, neither was exactly nimble. Both were trying to be something they were not, 2 seat, sporty, fast, and fun cars. They became vehicles that truly appealed to nobody.

This Efijy on the other hand, it is what it is, and people would buy it for that fact. This car is a throw back to the old Buicks and Mercurys of the late 40's and early 50's. People would buy this car simply because it succeeds at what it is trying to be, a large, luxuriouss, low rider to go out cruising in. Put a V8 with decent power in it, but don't worry about it's acceleration, as that isn't the point here. Every brand needs it's halo vehicle, a niche, something to draw people into the dealerships. I think that this car would be a perfect fit for the Buick lineup.

We've had a Plymouth Prowler, we still have the Viper, had the SSR, the GTO, and the Sky and Solstice are both set to be profitable at just 20,000 units a year each, so why not make this work? The people surrounding this display ranged from young black teenagers to old white folks in their 70's, both saying the same thing "Damn, that car is awesome." It's a car that appeals to such a wide range, one that causes a lot of buzz. I realize that the reality is this car will likely never see the light of day, which is truly a shame, as it is a part of American car culture that deserves it's time in the light one more time.

That's it, that's a wrap, my 2 cents on the 2007 North American International Auto Show. If I notice anything else during my next visit or two, as I'm sure I will, I'll be sure to relay it here.

For more pictures from the show, click here.

No comments: