Monday, September 29, 2014

Solid Roller Lifters - The Truth

As previously stated, my engine experienced a solid lifter fail a few weeks ago.  I got around to pulling the engine apart last week, as I at least wanted to see how severe the damage appeared.  It seems to be confined to just one solid roller, thus far.  I plan on pulling the engine all the way down, at the very least, clean it, and reassemble with new lifters.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I caught it early enough that the damage was minimal.  As you can see from the pictures below, the roller on the right seems to have either taken a pounding, of the finish began coming off.  After a bit of research, I found an excellent article addressing solid roller failure, and it seems metal fatigue was likely the cause of my roller failing.

I hope to have the engine out and completely disassembled within the next month or so, assess the damage, and go from there. I still plan on running a solid roller, I just have a much better understanding of their life span, and what to look for.  Here is the article I found, and what has convinced me that a bushing style roller is the way to go.

Solid Roller Bearings - Bushings or Needles, Which is Better?







No comments: