Sunday, August 18, 2013

2013 Woodward Dream Cruise


002
I can't get over how well the car looked after a good cleaning, wax, and hand detailing.  I really didn't expect the paint to shine like this, after a somewhat disaster of a wax job in which greasy swirls seemed impossible to get rid of.

Another year down, and more fun than ever!  This year was different, mostly because we had added a new member to the family just a day shy of 2 months ago.  As in the past, myself, along with my parents, got up there early to get a prime spot and the girls traveled up later in the day.  This is hopefully the last year we "two vehicle" car shows.  I have promised the wife that I will sound proof, omit the fumes penetrating the passenger compartment, and make it a semi-enjoyable ride in which we can all pile in together. 

This year was also different in the sense that my friend, Rod Calvin, had his truck back on the road after a delayed rebuild that left his 41 Ford pickup parked for the last few years.  Prior to those years, my Camaro had been parked for 8 years awaiting reassembly of it's own.  I figured it had been 12-13 years since we have had both of our rides at a show together.  Next year, we look forward to adding another friend, Jim Willet, with his 63 Ford unibody pickup, as well as a few others I hope. With that said, let's look at some cars!


004
Blown and bad!

014
How can you not love the traditional hot rod look?

021
Simply perfect, with a flathead to boot.

025
I guess this would be the opposite of traditional?  With a Viper engine for power, it's definitely separate from the pack.

033
The wife would take one of these, and reminds me often.

040
A nice Charger at the Mopar display.

041
I talked to the owner from this car for a good 20 minutes.  Her and her husband have owned this car for 23 years.  Not only did they drive in from Nebraska, they made some stops along the way, include Gatlinburg, TN for The Tale of the Dragon, and Columbus, OH for the Mopar Nationals.  With modern Hemi power, I'm sure it does just fine on the freeway.  An absolutely beautiful car!

044
A Sharknose Graham!  These cars are a rare site indeed.  A little research awhile back found that these cars were built just a few miles from us, and at a former plant that while vacant, still stands today.

046
A Ford Thunderbolt.  One of Ford's greatest efforts of building a drag car, and a very nice job indeed.

051
C2 Vette.  What is there to say?  I would LOVE to own one of these some day, but not sure I'd ever be willing to part with that much money.

054
One nice 69 Firebird.  Though essentially the same as the Camaro, they did just enough to make them different, and very few parts are actually interchangeable.

056
You are starting to see some really nice examples of second gen cars.

060
After some discussion, I labeled this color "baby poop brown."  That said, though I color I never would have thought to pick, it really looks great on this car.

061
Pontiac's GTO, minus the insurance gouging.  Sold under the T-37 code and badging, this was a GTO in disguise.

063
One DAMN nice Chevy II.

079
I believe this is a 33 (maybe a 34) Ford.  Check out them killer ghost flames!

068
Farm fresh Dodge.

069
Back when Buick was truly elegant!

 
089
Convertible Stude!  I'm not sure I've ever see a convertible version.

096
Outside of my element, here is a Volvo.  Yes, I will even dare to say...this thing is cool!

097
Yes, I said I would love a C2, but I would also love a C1.  I can't decide if I like the bubbly curves of this gen, or the sharper lines of the 2nd gen.

102
There he is, Rod Calvin!  Glad to see your truck back on the road buddy.  Hope to see you next weekend at Hines Drive as well.

103
If the Buick above was elegant, this 57 is downright sexy!

110
Before the time of SUV's, Wagons ruled the world as far as family trucksters were concerned.

121
Tell me that car doesn't look like it's flexin'.

127
1 day shy of 2 months old, you bet your ass my newest daughter would be at the Dream Cruise.  Her older sister even stated "I like old cars."  Yep, I train them well!

137
Marty, quick, to the Delorean! If there were ever Hollywood theatrics, it was when they claimed a D12 could do 88 mph.

146
The old 57's are cool, but I've grown to love the 55's way more.  The 57 is, well, just a bit much for me.  A little too much chrome and stainless for my current tastes.

148
A 65-66 Studebaker.

155
Cool as she sits, but the Inglese setup pushes it over the top!

159
The wife would take one of these as well, and recently reminded me, the next car was suppose to be hers...and I went and bought a 68 Firebird to build a drag car out of.  Next car is yours honey, I promise!

162
Emma had a blast, but the day took it's toll on her.  She passed out before we made it back to the truck.

170
Thought this looked a bit odd, with wide tires on all fours, but still cool.

179
41 Pontiac.
 
181
Tubbed with a  dual quad setup.  Yep, I think this one was flexin' too!

194
This was the start of day #2.  We didn't get as prime of parking, as I learned that you need to get there around 7 am to get in the front half on day #2.  Next year, I will probably get there earlier.  That said, I had dad meet me at our house for day #2 and we cruise up together (mom included).  It's just more fun entering a show and parking with friends and family.  I think next year I will try and organize a meet up spot for more friends/family.

196
As low as she is, I may try and drop the rear an inch or two by next year.

199
I'd like to see that bumper chromed, but other than that, this thing is bad!

201
Nice Chevy truck...even nicer engine.

206
Duster with a tunnel ram.  Old school style!

211
Nice 67 with some massive meats.

221
1936 Plymouth, sharp.

235
5 window Ford with a nice set of side pipes.

239
I don't often like a two tone paint job, but it looks great on this old Chevy.

242
Here come da Judge!

248
I don't like the 59's like I use to.  They are still cool, but I like the early 60's better when the fins took it down a few notches.  That said, while they were closing Woodward down, I got behind one heading down Coolidge that was tubbed out.  With tires that were proportionate to the fins, it looked a bit of alright!

254
One of the best looking Impalas ever built.

258
Never a big fan of the C3's, this one I could do.  One of the finest examples out there, and I could even live with the Yellow, as she wears it well.

269
Cadillac style!  They haven't built a car on this level of "over-the-toppness" for many years.  It is however what gave them their world renown reputation. I am told this is a 1940 model.

272
I believe this is an early 60's Buick.  Whatever it is, it's cool.

280
Another car Rod Calvin painted on.  His perfectionist attitude is obvious.  Best painter I know, and amongst the best I've seen.

288
70 Coronet.  I love these cars.

290
I think this was one of only two Anglias I saw at the cruise.  Sweet little ride.

300
You don't see too many old Model T's on the road.

305
Traditional hot rod with a splash of "rat rod" flavor.

309
Cobras, even though the kit cars far outnumber the real ones, are still one of the coolest 2 seat cars on the road.

312
There's that Sharknose beauty again!

334
Nice pro-street Demon. Are the 80's graphics making a come back?

341
I like the big block power, but this thing misses the mark somewhere.  I wanna say its the wheel/tire combo, but I'm not sure that's all.  Maybe the windshield too.

350
The absolute definition of barn fresh.  This thing looked like it sat for 80-90 years, got pushed out, and fired up.  I'm not a fan of all stock cars, especially when it comes to cars from this era, but I can appreciate a survivor like this.

360
I'd have to find a new set of wheels for it, but other than that, I'd be ready to hit the highway on a long road trip!

361
Makes me wanna head back to the flats soon.

365
Another real nice traditional rod.

377
At the Timken bearing display.  A 1904 St Louis.


388
This baby needs to be ran down the track hard and put away wet.  It screams "hold on for dear life."


398
Nice, clean, vintage style wheels, and convertible.  Nice.

401
I love the early 60's styling.  Almost as much as the late 60's.

436
A Bricklin.  You don't see too many of these either.

454
Clean pickup.

456
Maybe it's my love for 55's, but you just don't see as many 57's anymore.  56's even seem to be a rarity these days.

457
Willys gasser.  Very nice.

463
A pair of C2's.  My ideal ride would have a 427 backed by a 4 speed.  Also one of the ONLY muscle car era cars that look better WITH sidepipes.  So much so, they look naked without them.

481
This rod reminds me of the ZZ Top era of streetrodding.  The color, the style, the wheels.  Though missing the graphics, this think could have easily been built in the 80's or early 90's...and I'm fine with that.

487
Cool isn't always comfortable.  Judging by this passengers configuration to fit, this is far from comfortable.  It is without question, cool however.

500
Another nice C1.

421
One last shot of my ride before calling it a day. I'm not done for the season quite yet.  Hell, I just got the car on the road not even a month ago!  I'm looking to hit Hines Drive, and another cruise night or two.  While we will likely visit Frankenmuth's show, I'm not going to make that trek in this car.  Maybe next year.

508
Home resting up for Hines Drive next weekend!

If that wasn't enough Woodward action for you, there are some more pictures from this year's cruise, along with pictures from past years.  This was my 18th year in attendance, missing only the inaugural event. I have only been taking pictures since 2006.

2013 Woodward Dream Cruise (more photos!)

2012 Woodward Dream Cruise

2011 Woodward Dream Cruise

2010 Woodward Dream Cruise

2009 Woodward Dream Cruise

2008 Woodward Dream Cruise

2007 Woodward Dream Cruise

2006 Woodward Dream Cruise

No comments: