Thursday, July 21, 2011

Woodward Avenue All American Road Signs



Just got my Woodward Avenue All American Road sign the other day. My friend works for the Woodward Avenue Action Association which is responsible for securing federal funds to place these All American Road signs along Woodward Ave, stretching from downtown Detroit to Pontiac. These signs are kickass, without a doubt, and the moment I saw them going up I thought to myself "Damn, that's a cool ass sign I'd love to have in the garage." Well, it seems others out there felt the same way, and took it upon themselves to steal theirs.


At $500 a sign, the theft was both costly and disappointing. The Woodward group however saw this as an opportunity, and decided to test the waters regarding interest in purchasing the signs. They quickly ordered up a batch of 100, and sold out quickly. With little hesitation, I reserved my sign in that first batch.


The sign quality for this first batch seems fairly good. I expected a few imperfections, as is the case with most first runs. I need to trim a small corner they failed to cut perfectly, and the vinyl sticker has some air bubbles. I am assured that these issues are currently being resolved with the manufacturer, and some signs were sent back to be replaced. As for mine, I didn't find the imperfections of major concern, and think the sign will look great towering 10 feet above in my garage.


The signs are exact scale replicas of the real signs, measuring a massive 2 ft x 4ft. I'm not sure what the center section or backing are made of, but the front surface is either aluminum or steel, with a vinyl sticker for the sign itself. I must admit, I can't wait to have this hanging up, but sadly, have to finish off the upper portions of my garage with insulation and OSB before I'll have a surface to mount to. This is truly the type of piece in which will be the center piece of my garage once put in place.


For more information on purchasing one of these signs for $100, or an exact replica for $500, contact Woodward Avenue Action Association or call them at 248-288-2004. In addtion to the signs, they also sell other Woodward Avenue items, check them out!

No comments: