Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Comp Cams CamQuest Tool

I saw this listed in one of my car magazines a few months back and figured I'd try it out. You enter your vehicle information along with intended use. Comp Cams then lists a few cams they would recommend. Once you slect the cam, you can also get the approximate dyno results from your selection. While my Comp Cams custom grind was not one of the available selections, I was able to pick a cam that is about .020 lift under, and another that is about .020 higher then my solid roller cam, and it gave me a fairly good ballpark idea of what my engine is making.

Dyno results with the smaller cam come back with 712 hp/608 ft/lbs of torque. The larger cam came back with 734 hp/614 ft/lbs. So, an average of the two puts me in the 723 hp/611 ft/lbs vicinity. In my opinion, I think that may be a bit high, as I've estimated in the past to be around 700 hp, and Popular Hotrodding built a 454 nearly identical to mine making over 700 hp, so I think that's a pretty close guestimate.

Check out the CamQuest Tool and see what cam/dyno results you get.

No comments: