Tuesday, October 05, 2010

1970 Challenger (with mods) versus 2010 Challenger SRT8

I'm gonna have to agree with this guy, I gotta go with the 1970 Challenger. Now that my Camaro is back on the road, my desire, or should I say "gotta have it" attitude towards the new 2010 Camaro is starting to fade. Sure, it's a completely refined car all around with all the latest creature comforts. Yet ya know what? I like it crude and rude.

Today, I had a few minutes to take my ol' girl for a drive. Dad was up helping on the house and I wanted to take him for a short spin up to the gas station and around town. She was stubburn, backfired through the carb, even caught fire under the hood a few times, and was very reluctant to fire up. Even when she did, the tune seems to be off, as she had hesitations and grumbles while on our ride. I gave the manual brakes their first real test today, and was surprised how little pressure it takes to lock up the brakes.

Yeah, she's loud, irritable, and waaaay over powered. The car even still has a power steering leak, and yet through it all, I can keep on smiling with every head she turns. As cool as the new Camaros are, they can't hold a candle to the real deal. I may still get a new Camaro a few years down the road, as a daily driver. While it would be enjoyable I'm sure, the thrill factor would be uncomparable to sliding behind the wheel of the lighter/faster classic Detroit Iron. I'll take mine medium rare, thank you very much.

No comments: