Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Fuel System - Mechanical wins

I have reconsidered my initial plan for my fuel system. Initially, I planned to go with an electric pump Aeromotive setup, which was going to cost upwards of $1,000 including a fuel cell. I have since checked into alternatives, including mechanical pumps. After some searching, I came across a mechanical pump highly regarded by builders on a forum. The pump is made by Clay Smith, cost $125, and is good for around 1,300 hp. Going this route, I will add a sufficient electric pump later on down the road, only used as an auxiliary pump for when the nitrous is activated.

For this season, in an effort to simply get the car on the road, I am borrowing my former carb from my dad's Challenger. Though Barry Grant recommended their Demon 800, my former Demon 750 will have to make due for a year. Considering that the car will not see the track this year, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Another area in which I'm cutting corners to cut costs is with the brake systems. I will be reusing the factory disc brake setup, though converting to a Wilwood manual brake setup. Again, this is to cut costs, increase braking from what it was, and allow me to get the car on the road this year. I can upgrade to the full Wilwood setup as time/money allows.

Aside from that, I am still waiting upon the cylinder heads to arrive. They should be a week or two out. I need to disassemble my cast iron heads, as I will be reusing the rocker arm studs, titanium retainers/locks, as well as the pushrod guide plates.

Everything is still on track to start coming together this June. Though I'm started to doubt whether the car will be drivable, I hope to at least fire up the engine and be very close to being road worthy come July.

No comments: