Thursday, January 08, 2009

Rods on the way!

Each year, for the past 3 years or so, I try to make at least one significant purchase towards getting my 69 Camaro back on the road. A few years ago it was a custom ground Comp Cams solid roller cam with a nearly insane for the street 677/687 lift. Last year, I picked up the solid roller lifters, also by Comp. This year, I ordered up the connecting rods.

After some research, I settled on a set by Scat. These babies in standard form are good for 800+ hp. At the advise of my friend Wes, I went with the rod bolt upgrade, which makes these H-beam rods good for 1,400+ hp! These rods are not only more than sufficient for this build, but if I were ever to go above and beyond this 900-1,000 hp planned engine, new rods won't be on the upgrade list.

2009 is going to be a busy year. I'm firmly planted in my new career in law enforcement, my fiancee will finish her masters in education and likely start her new career in the fall. Last but certainly not least, we will be getting married this fall. In the midst of all that, I'm hoping to find a means to be able to pick up a set of pistons and get my engine to a machine shop, likely Tico Performance over near Brooklyn, MI. If I can get the short block tightened up by year end, seeing the road in 2010 becomes a very likely possibility.

It's been a long time, way too long. I used to read features in magazines about 10 year works in progress and scratch my head. Yet here I am, house, fiancee, dogs, a cat, and a reality check has me understanding why these builds take as long as they do. It's not like the days of living at home with a disposable income any longer. Looking ahead, hopefully I can stretch my 89 Formula out for 1 more winter, then get a worthy replacement in 2010, hopefully a 2010 Camaro SS if life works out for the best. Then, my Formula will be my next project in the works, undergoing a complete ground up restoration, hopefully one that isn't parked for the next 10 years awaiting completion!

No comments: