Monday, January 26, 2009

2009 North American International Auto Show Coverage

Just got back from spending a few hours at the North American International Auto Show. First off, let me say that today was the lightest crowds I've ever experienced, even for a weekday. That for me, is a good thing, yet for the show and the city, a bad thing. It was nice to actually have room to walk around, take pictures, and enjoy the show bumping into some stranger every step of the way.

First impression: It's obvious that this is a transitional year. Auto makers are scrambling to get new hybrid/electric technology to market. Most every large automaker had some sort of electric vehicle on display this year. Surprisingly, I found quite a few of them very interesting. The American companies seem to realize that people want good looking cars with cutting edge designs. There were many exceptional "green" cars at this year's show in which even the hotrodder in me would be willing to slide behind the wheel of.

After looking at all the cars for several hours, my heart is still set upon one true love....the new Camaro SS. I actually got to slide into the seat and feel what it's like for the first time, and me likey!!! I also sat in the Challenger, and had spent much time behind the wheel of the current Mustang while conducting dyno tests at my last job. To me, the Camaro is far and above it's competition. I even like the interior better than the $104,000 Corvette ZR1 that I sat in. The Camaro interior just seems...I don't know, next generation?

I got down on the floor to inpect the underside, as I had a burning question on my mind "Did this new Camaro finally have a TRUE dual exhaust?" To my surprise, yes it does! Gone is the annoying passenger side hump in the floor pan and intermediate pipe feeding a muffler that splits into what leads most to think is dual exhaust. Not that the LT1 and LS1 F-Body didn't have a good sounding exhaust, but the Mustang just aways sounded better....even to this Chevy boy. Now, onto the cars!

First off, I'm gonna start with the three pony cars, the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger. I believe this is the first show in which all three production versions have been on display.



The bad boy of the bunch, the Chevy Camaro SS.


The "Black" Camaro. The V6 is no slouch, with 304 hp, it's only about a dozen horses shy of Ford's V8 powered Mustang GT.

The Challenger is a sweet ride, but to somebody who's owned the original, the 1970, it just looks overweight to me. All aspects of the body look like they've put on that freshman 15.

Dig the scoop! Hope that's available on production cars.

The newly designed 2010 Mustang GT500.

While I thought the current Mustang captured the heritage of the car, it was based more on the early 64-67 Mustangs. I always thought those years lacked the muscularity a muscle car needs. In 69-70, that was addressed, with more buldging fenders/quarters to go with a more aggressive front and rear. The 2010 Mustang's rear is probably the greatest improvement. Though subtle, it was just enough to add some toughness to the package.


The King of the Hill that's been beating up on Italy's finest! 638 hp and handling to match, this baby has been setting a new standard for performance.

Puts "window shopping" into a new perspective.

Here he comes, here comes Speed Ra-cer.

The Revenge...essentially a kit car, though a very good looking one at that! Powered by a Corvette Z06 engine putting out 505 hp, the car was getting a lot of attention.

Pontiac Solstice Coupe....sorta strange looking, not sure whether I like it or not.

CTS-V...is doing to the Beemers what the ZR1 is doing to the exotics. May have something to do with the Corvette engine that resides between the fenders.

Proof that when done right, low rider trucks are still cool. Digging the Challenger hood and air bag suspension.


Factory offroader, the Ford SVT Raptor, pretty sweet.


The new Ford Taurus, a car Ford is hoping has the same impact it did back in 1986.




The Chevy Cruze, another vehicle GM is rushing to get out in hopes of righting their ship.



Chryslers electric concept, the 200V I think. Good looking styling, likely showing the future face of Chrysler.


The Chevy Volt, perhaps GM's wildcard that will keep them alive.


The "Cadillac" of electric cars. Utilizing Chevy Volt technology, if sales of the Volt are strong, expect this car to come to market in the next few years.



The new Cadillac SRX, a great improvement over the current model.


The Lincoln "C" I believe. Kinda looked like somebody tried to flatten a mini...yet very cool/futuristic just the same.

Chrysler's electric sports car, built with the aid of Lotus I believe.
Fisker Karma, perhaps the most elegant looking electic at the show.

Tesla...an electic sports car.

Penny Racer.


No comments: