Friday, March 21, 2008

Cylinder Head Porting Part 2

Well I figured it was about time to give you guys an update on the cylinder head porting I’ve been doing. I’m happy to say that I’m probably 70% complete with job. Let me start by saying that porting and polishing a set of heads takes WAY more time than I thought it was going to. I’ve done a few heads before, but I don’t remember them taking this much time. But that’s ok; I really do enjoy shaping the ports and seeing them polish up. It’s as if I can visualize the airflow going through the ports as I’m working on them.

I’ve added a few pictures for your viewing enjoyment. Like I was saying before, this is the first set of aluminum heads I’ve ever tried to port, and they ain’t like porting cast iron heads! These things are a whole different beast altogether!

First of all the cutting tool leaves a horrible surface finish on the ports. I’ve tried adjusting the speed of the grinder but it doesn’t seem to make any difference. The tools leave all these little gouges that initially worried me. But as it turns out it really isn’t a problem because the polishing cartridge rolls take that gouged surface and turn it into a nice smooth finish. I’d also like to add that polishing takes WAY longer to do then the actual porting itself. But so far I have been very happy with the results.

Second is that porting takes a heavy toll on the wrists. I quickly figured out that if I wrap my wrists they will not fatigue and I can keep going longer. Before I wasn’t wrapping my wrists and they would start bugging me after an hour or so.

I’ve also invested in a good set of anti-fog safety goggles. Those porting and polishing tools throw dust and chips all over the place. I don’t want any of that getting in my eyes. And speaking of which, I’ve been using a respirator since day one. Those cartridge rolls throw out some pretty nasty aluminum-oxide dust and I don’t want to breath any of that.

I have one head pretty much done, and about 50% done on the other head. After that I will polish the combustion chambers, which will be a one-day job at most. So it’s coming along. I’m going to try to update more frequently as the weather gets nicer. I’d like to have the engine in the car by the end of the summer!

Peace.
Matthew 27:45-56
WesleyJ



Rough Intake Port.

Ported and Polished Intake Port.

Ported and Polished Intake port #2

Intake Bowl, semi-finished (still needs some polishing work around guides)

Mr. Gasket Intake Gasket (with high tech head porting stand)

Exhaust Bowl (semi-finished)

Fel Pro Exhaust gasket.

Much needed equipment!!

No comments: