Friday, March 07, 2008

2008 Detroit Autorama

As promised, I just returned from the 2008 Detroit Autorama with tons of pictures to share, almost 300! This year once again proved that only the best cars make it into the show. No longer do you see cars with el-cheap-o Maaco paint jobs waving back at you. Another change this year was the lack of the over priced piece of shit cars for sale in the car corral, as it was gone all together, though it was replaced with more stands selling diecast models, car literature, and junk. The imports and Rat Rods were once again on display in the basement, though the imports seemed to be lacking in numbers this year, as did the Rat Rods in my opinion.

Another thing I noticed this year is that muscle cars are continuing their trend of following in the footsteps of street rods. More and more custom body work, modern drivetrains, interiors, bigger wheels/tires, and modern suspensions. Perhaps the most significant proof of this trend was among the Mopar faithful. If there was anything I learned during my few years owning my 1970 Challenger R/T, it's that the Mopar people are often the most resilient to change.

At this year's show I saw several Mopars that had been cut up, bodies customized, aftermarket suspensions, powertrains, and even custom interiors. If the Mopar fans are giving their muscle cars the "street rod treatment," then you know it's more than just a passing fad. So without further delay, here are just a few of the pictures from the show, along with captions. I'll include a link at the end to the rest of the cars.



The Finkosel.

Pretty in prink, with a big motor under the...uhh...over the roof!




Cool display.






1,500 hp...and it's streetable!




Big...yellow...different.

Sharp two tone pickup.

Never been a big fan of these throwback customs, but there was just something about this old Buick that really caught my eye.

One of the sweetest Corvairs I've seen.



A good 4 or 5 of these 2nd generation Firebirds made the show, though not a single 3rd generation like I own. Just goes to show that these cars are gaining popularity. I'll admit, there was a time when I thought these, along with their cousin Camaros, were among the ugliest F-body cars to hit the road. Today, I have grown to love the styling of both cars from the 70's, and would even consider owning one.


Eleanor?


One of several customized Dodge Challengers. While I like most of the customizations, especially the flush/painted bumpers. About three cars had 18 in front and 20 inch tires on the rear, which I found the rears to look stupid in my opinion. One Cuda had 17's up front, 18's out back, which I consider to be the perfect combination.

The perfect family truckster.


I could live with the 18's on the front, but again, the 20's out back just look too damn big and unproportional to the car. Muscle cars are meant to have some rubber on the rims, not rubber bands. Aside from that, this was yet another sweet customized Mopar.



Awesome 1969 Camaro, most beautiful muscle car ever built in my opinion.


Nice lookin' Stang.


Prostreet will never die, nor will it ever look dated in my book.

Ah yes, the big wing thing.

Another badass Mopar, but look at those silly rear wheels/tires.

While no 3rd generation Firebirds were there, there were a few Camaros from the era. This with a sweet candy apple spray on it.

Slammed.


Willy's were cool when nobody had them. Now, anybody into hotrodding and money seems to have the need to build one. Still sweet, but like the much loved 1969 Camaro, an over abundance can sometimes water them down.

Some nice airbrushed flames.

And it burns, burns, burns!


I never knew such a car even existed, until my days working at Ford when a coworker told me about them. Looks like a fun as hell car to me.

I never liked this generation Vette, in fact, I didn't much care for the generation after either. There was something about this car however, something I couldn't quite place my finger on. Maybe it was the big wheel/tire combo filling up the wheel wells, or the color. The body just seemed ultra smooth and flowing. Today perhaps I'll get a chance to bump into the owner and see if the body was modified in any way.

Update: I got to the show today and was able to talk to the builder about the car. I mentioned that while I typically don't like that style of Vette, there was just something about this one. He smiled and said "You wouldn't believe how many people have approached us at this show and said the very same thing." Seems there were many modifications done, though very subtle, they significantly change the appearance of the car. He allowed me inside the ropes to take a closer look, and point out the mods. The biggestest were the fender flares, which were blended into the body, and a custom rocker panel made to help the body lines flow. They also sharpened all of the body lines, which explained why everything looked so sharp. They also extended the rear spoiler about an inch. The guy admitted, he felt that Vette is one of the sexiest built, though thought Chevy left didn't finish it off right. They made the proper changes to create a product that appears much more polished.

As stated before, I've always loved the LX notchback Mustang, even when the optional luggage rack is tossed on. Now the GT, you can keep them ugly ass boxes!


Never understood it, probably never will, it just is.

You can view the rest of my pictures from the show here: 2008 Detroit Autorama

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the Detroit Autorama pictures. Vampyre and Finkosel are AWESOME!
Jack

Anonymous said...

happen to know the guy with the red notchback mustang? trying to figure out the paint he used thanks