Sunday, February 24, 2008

Replacing the turn signal switch on my 1989 Formula

About a year ago, my turn signals started acting up. They were still working, though the sequence was no long consistent. Sometimes the indicators would flash dimly, other times they would flash erratically. I knew something was going on then, but put off fixing it. At some point, perhaps 5 months ago, they quit working all together.

Life has been busy and I just haven't made time to get around to fixing it. In the back of my mind, I wondered if it wasn't a wiring problem related to the previous owners installation of a keyless entry system. I checked my fuses, saw a few power leads plugged into the fuse block that weren't stock, some in line fuse links that weren't stock, and some dangling wires that appeared to be grounds that were unhooked. I also looked for a relay or turn signal flasher, though found neither.

So, I simply assumed it was the turn signal switch. Made sense, considering the anti-theft device went out a few years ago due to a short in the column, so I figured the same was probably responsible for my current problem.

I could have probably ran up to the local parts store and got a turn signal switch, but I'd bet money it would be made in China. I've dealt with my fair share of subpar replacement parts, enough time to have learned my lesson.

So I turned to Year One, which stocks on the best in parts. I was surprised to find out there was a 3-4 week back order. Oh well, I'd rather wait and get a good product than rush out and buy junk at a local shop. (remember my fuel pump problem?).

So, when the part finally shipped about 3 weeks later, it never arrived. Come to find out, even though I entered my correct shipping address, they sent it according to what I had listed as my profile in their system. I didn't even realize I had a profile to be honest. Anyways, UPS lost it for about a week, though my package eventually showed up. A few more weeks passed, then this weekend I decided to tackle the project.



Prior to starting.


Removing the steering wheel cover.


Remove retaining clip on shaft.


Remove retaining nut from shaft, unplug red wire with white nylon housing (horn power).


Install steering wheel puller.


Remove steering wheel.


Remove black cover on column, this will expose the steering wheel locking plate.


Install tools to compress locking plate, allowing access to remove lock ring on shaft.



The lock ring, located at the tip of the screw driver.

.

I initially tried to use the proper tool, snap ring pliers. I have several interchangeable heads for these pliers, though none of them got the job done.

I then improvised, using two screw drivers to snake the lock ring out of the groove and up the shaft.

You can now remove the locking plate.


You will now see the turn signal switch.


Remove the large spring, for the locking plate, from the shaft.


Remove the z-shaped bracket in the top left corner by removing the screw. This connects to the turn signal lever.


Z-shaped bracket removed.

Remove the three screws retaining the turn signal switch.


Now remove the hazard switch. Be careful of the spring inside, as it wasn't until reassembly that I figured out what the low compression spring on the floor board went to.


Hazard switch removed.


Now remove the access panel under the dash, this will include two separate panels.


That clusterfuck of a mess was the remove keyless entry installed by a previous owner. Years have taken their toll on the lock solenoids, they no longer have enough power to lock the doors, so I've manually locked them for a few years. Thus, the keyless entry is worthless. In addition, the first owner of this car was paralyzed from the waist down, so it had a pedal on steering wheel conversion at one point, as well as a stereo system or two spliced in. Needless to say, I'm not sure how many electrical issues may be tied to the cars previous history.

The little black box! I've looked for this little bastard that runs the keyless entry a few times in the past, though never spotted it tucked away partially behind the driver's side kick panel.


Black box with the rat's nest of wires. At this point I became very skeptical if my new turn signal switch would fix my problem.


Thought my manual neglected this step, removing the four bolts attaching the column to the column support bracket, then removing the two nuts holding the bracket to the dash frame, make the job much easier. This is especially easier when it comes time to feed the wiring through the column.


I could now feed the harness up through the column and remove the old turn signal switch.


With the new harness taped up, I was ready to feed it down through the column. Ironically, the manual said to feed it up through the column, which is technically impossible consider the switch doesn't even come close to fitting in the bottom of the column.


New signal in place, time to reverse the steps and put everything back together.

New harness fed through, stamped "MADE IN THE USA." Wouldn't have got that at my local parts store!


Reinstall the hazard switch.


Tuck all this shit back up there out of sight and outta mind, at least for now.


Install the spring, then compress the lock plate far enough to install the lock ring. Oh yeah, REMEMBER TO INSTALL THE LOCK RING ON THE SHAFT FIRST, PRIOR TO INSTALLING THE TOOLS! I neglected this step, then had to remove the tools in order to get the lock ring on the shaft.


Lock plate installed.



Install the black plastic cover.


Align the steering wheel onto the shaft so that the splines line up, then use the backing nut to press the steering wheel back onto the shaft.


Place the retaining clip on the shaft, then plug in the red wire (horn power).


Install the center cover and the job is complete...so I thought.

After about 4 hours of work, everything was back together. This was moment of truth, one in which was disappointing to say the least. I quickly found out that my efforts were pointless, aside from the learning experience. My turn signals still did not function, and here I was back to square one. I am still very skeptical that the keyless entry isn't part of the problem, though have one other fix I'm going to try first. After calling a friend last night, he confirmed that there was indeed a turn signal flasher some place under the dash, though he didn't know where. He also felt that the signal flasher was the true cause of the problem. Some surfing the net last night, I realized why I couldn't find the flasher, it's tucked neatly behind the console area, conspicuously hidden. So today, I'm gonna pick up a flasher, make another go at it, and hope that it fixes my problem.

Update: Sure enough, the turn signal flasher was what it was. A couple dollar part and about 10 minutes later and my turn signal issues were fixed. Live and learn I suppose, wasn't the first time an initial repair didn't fix the problem, nor will it likely be the last. Funny thing though, I initially looked for the turn signal flasher under the dash, though couldn't find it, and guess I just forgot about it. The damn thing is tucked behind a metal bracket with a metal clip, completely hidden unless you know where to find it. Thanks to the internet, I knew where to find it this time around.

1 comment:

wheelsandrubber said...

A friend of mine had a problem with his signal and it ended being the flasher. I hope that's what it is.

wheelsandrubber.blogspot.com