Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Barry Grant Mighty Demon E85 carburetor


Since reading a handful of articles over the past year or two regarding E85, it got me considering an E85 friendly engine. The benefits are the ability to run higher compression, it's cheaper than race fuel, is more environmentally friendly (especially when compared to leaded race gas), and the cooling characteristics are also better. I have read up on how to convert a carb over to E85, which entailed some drilling and other modifications. I'd prefer one of the major carb manufacturers take the guess work out of such a conversion as opposed to me taking a drill to the carb myself.

I have been a fan of Barry Grant's Demon carbs since the day I first layed eye on them. They were a clean/mean looking carb, with all of the bolt on features you usually had to pay extra for with a holley. Well, companies made conversion kits for holley carbs, though I had yet to hear anything in regards to the Demon carb until this month's issue of Super Chevy magazine.

Barry Grant has announced that it's line of Mighty Demon carbs will now be available to run on E85. My girlfriend said I looked like a kid on a Christmas opening gifts when I read the news in front of me. The E85 carb will be available in 650, 750, 825, and 850 cfm versions. They will be identifiable by their gold base plate and metering blocks, and will be calibrated for street use.

I looked on Jeg's website to see if I could learn a little more about this Mighty Demon, as my previous carb on my Camaro was a Race Demon, which was on my Challenger R/T when I sold it to my dad. Sadly, it doesn't seem that even the 850 cfm version would work with my planned engine build, as they state the carb is good for cams up to 260 degrees duration at .050, and my roller in which I already have is 266/272 duration. Perhaps by the time I build my engine, more options on bigger carbs will be available. Then maybe I will also know whether E85 is a passing trend, or appears here to stay. Regardless, I was excited to hear BG now at least offers an E85 option.

No comments: