Monday, July 03, 2006

The smokey burnout

Man, it had been a long time. I hadn't even really thought about it to be honest, until last week. I'll drop the hammer quite often in my Formula, take off from a light breaking the tires loose almost daily, but I couldn't recall the last time I put it to the floor from a dead stop and let the tires do their thing. Perhaps the fact that my transmission mount was busted for nearly a month played a small role in it, as your transmission bouncing off the tunnel is like nails screaching down a chalk board to a car guy. I cringed every time I heard it clank off the tunnel. Yet the lack of burnout on my gearhead portfolio seriously predated that.

As one officer called it on a ticket I received a few years ago....ok, like 7 or 8 years ago, what I was looking for was "An exhibition of power." (I need to have that ticket framed). So yesterday, I had to get it outta my system. I was heading towards a freeway to go to some shopping. I spotted a WSU cop car parked just a short distance away, but figured they wouldn't come after me, as trees blocked the show I was about to put on. I got on the ramp, came to a complete stop, then just mashed the pedal to the floor. Smiling ear to ear I thought to myself "114,000 miles, and she's still got the power kickin'." I will have to venture down and check out the nice patches I left, as they give one a sense of pride. Perhaps that mid day burnout is what triggered something in me, that desire to get back working on my Camaro. All I know is that it was fun. haha

No comments: