Monday, July 03, 2006

I've rediscovered the Car Guy in me

I'm not sure what triggered it, but last night I found myself deeply involved in working on my Camaro. I suppose it could have been one of many things. Maybe it was the announcement that Dodge is bringing back the Challenger, announced just a few days prior. Maybe it was seeing muscle cars cruising downriver last weekend, as I was down there running errands. Possibly it was the mounting stack of car magazines that I simply haven't had time to read that has me feeling guilty. Whatever it was, I'm glad its back, I'm glad I once again feel like working on it.

Last night I found myself grinding, wire wheeling, and welding on it. First real chance I've had to test out my welder. After some inspection, it seems I didn't do so bad when I installed them over 10 years ago. Some of the welds aren't exactly pretty, but they are hardly gonna fall out while driving down the road. I'll likely clean up the welds, touch on the areas that I missed, and call it good.

After a few hours of working on the car, it was getting to be around 9 pm or so, and I figured it was time to dig into that huge stack of magazines and toss back some Stroh's in the process. I came upon an editorial by David Freiberger in regards to "Cars we let get away." He claimed we've all been there, sold a car that we later wished we had back. He went on to list his top 10 cars he regretted parting with. Well, sorry, but I'm not in that bunch. My first car, a 1989 Firebird with a 305/5speed, it got totaled when a lady failed to stop at a stop sign, t-boned her at 55 mph. So that one didn't really get away, it was sent to the grave. My replacement, a 1969 Camaro (maybe an SS, not sure if its a clone or not), well I've had it for 10 years now. It was the first car I really dug into beyond bolt on stuff I did to my Firebird. A few years later I would get my parents well maintained, very reliable 1990 2 door Buick Regal. Two years ago I donated this car to charity. All I have to say is, what a car! It had the 3800 engine and didn't use a drop of oil. The odometer quit at 71,000 miles, but my best estimates put the mileage in the 250,000-300,000 mile range. After that car, I resorted back to my roots, purchasing another 1989 Firebird, only this time it was the Formula. Sucks that I had to give up the 5 speed, since they never put them behind the 350, but I'll take the bigger engine any day. So in a since, I replaced the one that got away. As for the Regal, well, like most car guys, there was a part of me that missed seeing it go. It had never let me down, was still dependable, but the body was looking a bit rough. I once had visions of fixing it up, adding a supercharger to the engine, painting in a menacing black, and adding some rims. You know, a modern day version of the Grand National. Though I was sad to see it go, it doesn't make the list of cars I wish I had back.

Over the years I also picked up a legit 1970 Challenger R/T with 383 and 4 speed pistol grip. While it has remained parked, just like my Camaro, for around 4 or 5 years, I have refrained from selling it. Even warded off a few attempts by my parents to sell it (it's parked in their garage), and even turned down trades by them, for their 1995 Pontiac Formula, which in all honesty was VERY tempting. In the end though, it would kind of feel like leaving a soldier behind, or turning your back on your child. I simply can't do it. I started the project, and damn it, some day I will finish it. So as you can see, I don't fall into the category of "Man, I wish I had that car back." As I sit here pondering, planning to set aside $100 a week until a new Camaro is available, and if that doesn't happen, then I'm picking me up a new Challenger. Yet at the same time, have no intentions of selling any of my cars I got. 4 cars for one guy, that's not that bad is it? :)

No comments: