Thursday, June 22, 2006

Planned Formula repairs

This weekend I will be doing some much needed repair/maintenance work on my Formula. In addition to an oil change I will be installing new plugs, wires, cap/rotor, and transmission mount. After being left stranded for the first time with this car a few weeks ago it appears that my lunch time fix here at work resolved that issue, a failed ignition module. Even after the repair however the car still appears to have some sort of issues, whether they are ignition or fuel related, I don't know for sure yet. I do know this though, it's getting quite thirsty for oil, using about 1 quart every 1,000 miles. So my tune up about 10,000 miles ago has probably run it's life and the plugs are likely getting quite fouled out.

It's probably been 3 weeks now since I determined what that "clunk" was coming from. I knew before even looking, but just to 100% sure I jacked the car up. Sure enough, the transmission mount was split in half and the transmission was slamming off the top of the tunnel during hard acceleration. I can't imagine my driving style had any impact on it's failure. To date, in relation to rubber components and suspension parts I have snapped two stabilizer links while taking off ramps at good speed and now tore a transmission mount.

I really need to start preparing a block for rebuild for this car, as it's oil consumption seems to be more than just a set of dry rotted valve stem seals or worn valve guides. I suppose this would be a good time to pick up a compression tester and verify it's the pistons/rings while I pull all the plugs, but that would just make too much sense.

I got a pretty good idea as to the type of engine I'd like to build up. I'd shoot for the 400-450 hp range and try to maintain around 25 mpg. In all honesty, with the right components I think it's a very doable goal.

No comments: