Monday, June 26, 2006

Formula running much better

Buttoned up most all of my needed repairs, in addition to an oil change. I had ordered up some 8mm Taylor wires, new plugs, MSD cap/rotor, and new transmission mount. I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason I take great pride in making my own spark plug wires. The tune up went fairly smoothly, but I'd still like to kill the person who designed all the bullshit on the passenger side making it a real pain in the ass to get to the front #2 plug. The emissions equipment on my car is about to go, by winter I'll likely yank a lot of the stuff out, most notable the air pump and all the lines. I look at it this way, the car is nearly 20 years old. The number of 20 year old cars on the road is relatively small, so while everybody with newer cars have cars that pollute less, I'll take their added cleanliness and credit it to myself, allowing me to pollute a little more in an effort to make at home repairs much easier on myself. Yeah, that's how I roll! lol

Recently I found I had snapped my transmission mount in half, so I ordered up a performance polyurethane replacement. The job was pretty straight forward, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the repair also fixed an exhaust leak that came about recently. I was aware until crawling under the car for the repair that the exhaust hanger was attached to the tail housing of the transmission. So killed two birds with one stone this time around.

I am still skeptical that there is some sort of fuel issues with the car, possibly the injectors, or maybe the fuel pump going already, though it's not even a year old. Another possibility is a vacuum leak I suppose. As high as oil consumption is getting (thus the need to swap plugs after about 10,000 miles), I really need to pick up that extra engine I have and get started on the bottom end this upcoming winter. I may scale it back a touch, as initially I was gonna shoot for 400-450 hp, but now I'm thinking something in the range of 350 would be fine, as I really want to bump the mpg up a touch to go with the increased performance.

No comments: