Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bonneville Salt Flats

One of the many automotive items on my to do/bucket list is a visit to the Bonneville Salt Flats. Just a visit would not be sufficient of course, but a 200 mph blast would satisfy my needs. Just looking at pictures, reading stories, seeing videos, and watching "The World's Fastest Indian (2005)," leaves any automotive enthusiast salivating for a visit to this unique to planet earth location.

I've pondered many times, bench racing with myself, what I would build, what I'd like to take to Bonneville. While my 69 Camaro would need relatively little work to get it up to speed (no pun intended), I can't help but lean in favor of my 89 Pontiac Formula. Aerodynamically speaking, it has one of the best drag co-efficients of any car built, and it just looks armed and ready to go, prepared to slice through the salt air. Of course it would mean another car with a cage, along with many other requirements that would make it closer to another race car than street car.

My desire only grows stronger with each article I read about "The Flats," and the grassroots racers who make their yearly trek to Speed Week. Perhaps a pilgrimage to the flats during this annual event would at least give me a taste, and an idea whether it's something I REALLY wanna do, before building such a purpose built car. I do however have little doubt that there is any form of racing out there that I wouldn't whole-heartedly enjoy with a big 'ol shit eatin' grin from ear to ear.

Here is an article passed along to me a few years ago. It really captures the essence behind what Bonneville is all about, and the desire for most every gearhead to check it out at least once in their life.

Popular Mechanics - Mustang vs Camaro: All out Bonneville Speed Test

Bonneville Salt Flats

No comments: