Friday, April 17, 2009

Bench racing with the neighbor

Today while out walking the dogs I stopped by to talk with the new guy in the neighborhood, the "$100,000 Camaro guy." I already had established a perception of what this guy's car must be like. I pictured one of those high dollar cars that you see at Cobo, the ones never driven on the street, the ones with chrome plated brake rotors and wet sanded/buffed floor pans. Man, I couldn't have been further from the truth! This guy showed me pics and vouches that he has knicks and scratches and pushes the car to the limit. Perhaps even more importantly, many of the future mods I was planning for my Formula, he's already done.

First and foremost, I wanna put my car on a diet and get it down to the 3,000 lb range. That's a drop of about 440 lbs! This guys car tips the scales at 3,100 lbs. Many of the weight saving materials had already crossed my mind, but I was shocked to find that he still has an iron block/iron heads in the bay. Drop in an LS1 and the weight would likely come in at about 2,950 lbs! A weight that is simply unheard in today's performance market. Our conversation really made me realize, 3,000 lbs is more easily obtainable than I had imagined.

Having already traveled down the path, my new neighbor will be good for a wealth of knowledge later on down the road. I'm sure I'll be able to show him a thing or too when it comes to old school performance as well, as I'm sure he's never played in the big block arena.

No comments: