Saturday, November 15, 2008

Trouble Lights

As previously stated, I tackled my headlight issues last week, though the problem is far from fixed. In the end, I have two headlights that now I can at least put up and down manually, something I couldn't do before as the gear mesh wasn't tight enough. One new/used headlight motor, two motor rebuild kits, and a new/used headlight control module and the problem still exists. Next step is to return the control module, as it seems there may have been a mid-year change, as the sticker on the new module was blue, instead of white like the module my car came equipped with. Also, I'm having them send me a new headlight switch, as I believe it too is part of the problem, as it has "acted up" ever since I've owned the car. I fuckin' hate electrical nightmares, and I'm beginning to severely dislike pop-up headlights!


I also replaced my battery a few weeks ago. Can't believe I stretched this one out as long as I did, as it seemed on it's last leg about two winters ago. This year, I wasn't gonna press my luck. I went with a Sears Diehard with around 720 CCA. I've always had great luck with Diehards.



The handicapped lights.

While the instructions stated to removing the headlight housing, I concluded that removing the hoodlatch tray made the process much easier.










Headlight motor.




Guts of the motor.







The motors not having fixed the problem, I moved on to the headlight control module located on the firewall between the brake booster and wiper motor.






Along with the part number, the sticker label also read "REPLACE, DO NOT REPAIR," yeah, for $282 for a new one I think I'll take my chances on attempting to repair it.
I can't help but wonder why GM went from what was previously a system controlled by three simple relays to a circuit board control module. Even then, my module was apparently only used from 1987-1989, when upon they switched to what must have been an updated module from 1990-1992.



Close inspection showed obvious signs of problems. The relay in the center seems to have tried to cook itself at some point. You can see by the smoked plastic cover, problem lie beneath. I popped the cover and discovered a burned wire and a few melted solder points. While the module may not be all of my problems, it was certainly part of the problem.



Current and new/used module, though the problem still isn't solved.


Back together, with two manually "functioning" headlights.

I have always like the 1969 Camaro RS with it's hideaway headlights. Yet after the problems I've had, I'm not so anxious to fit my 69 Camaro with them. In fact, along the way I've even pondered seeing what my options are as far as a fixed headlight system on my 89 Formula. I've heard some have used both BMW and new Corvette lights and adapted them to 3rd gens. It may be something I pursue later on down the road. Would definately give the car a more updated look, if not just functioning headlights! For the time being, I can at least manually raise the lights. I called Hawk's today, told them the issue, and they have said they'll ship me another module upon the return of this one, eat the cost of shipping, and toss in a light switch for $35. They've gone above and beyond to help me out, and I've told them I appreciate their help and in now way blame them for a faulty part that may not even be the only issue at hand. When using used parts, there is obviously always the chance the part won't work. But it's a chance I'll often take when the alternatives are a $240 headlight motor and $282 headlight control module. Stay tuned!

No comments: