Saturday, September 01, 2007

Detroit Grand Prix & Le Mans

This morning, shortly after I woke up, I walked to the back of the house to take a peak outside to see what the dogs were up to. As I did so, I heard a high revving engine, though assumed it was just another race taking place between a few motorcycles on Grand River. The sounds persisted however, and I soon realized that I was actually hearing testing for the Detroit Grand Prix on Belle Isle. I opened the windows to take a better listen, and was shocked to hear just how clearly the sound would travel. I'm a good 5+ miles from where the race will take place, in addition, numerous multi-level, even skyscrapers, cover the distance.

I had planned on attending the event, though time, money, and other obligations dictated otherwise. I am very excited that racing will make it's return this weekend to the Motor City, for several reasons. First and foremost, it places Detroit amongst international viewers, and during a weekend in which tons of events are taking place. Secondly, and almost as important, racing belongs in the Motor City, plain and simple.

So instead of checking out today's race, I'll be pushing to get the exposed, bare wood on my house prepared for paint before winter is upon us. Also, family obligations will prevent me from attending Sunday's race as well. Still, it's a welcome return, and hopefully the start of another great tradition that will compliment the Gold Cup Race over the summer. While the concrete slab placed near the foot of the bridge is a serious eye sore, I'm sure that as years pass, the Isle will benefit greatly from renovations and improvements thanks to the race. Though I can't attend, I'll be watching the Le Mans tonight as it's broadcast via a delay at 9:30 pm on Speed, and again on Sunday on ABC for the Grand Prix.

Detroit Grand Prix