Thursday, July 19, 2007

Gauging success


Hoping to continue at least a minimal amount of work on my Camaro each week, this evening I dug out all of my gauges and began cleaning them, then wrapping them carefully for storage until later use. This is something I should have done years ago when I took the car off the road.

In the process of removing them from the car, likely due to my impatience, the beauty rings managed to get scratched up, so some touch up flat black paint will be necessary before they actually go back in the car. It would probably be a good idea to wait until I have the dash layout figured out first though, as more scratches will likely occur. After the gauges, my next project will likely to be to clean up the rear glass, removing the silicon, and prepare the body surface for re-installation. Then all that will remain is the front windshield, which I need to buy yet.

I'll probably get started on checking out the wiring harness after that, which needs a couple of repairs prior to re-installation. A few grommets had worn out, and the wires rubbed on sharp surfaces in a couple of areas, nothing major, but they need fixed just the same.

I'm still pondering whether or not to stick with the B&M Megashifter I have, as I always thought it was a very slopping shifter, and have since found multiple other shifters I like much better. One step at a time though, as I have plenty of work to go, and plenty of time to figure out a game plan. Expect updates more often, as while I've said so in the past, this time I really am going to continue the progress on a weekly basis until it sees the road once again..