Monday, August 07, 2006

2008 Camaro unofficially official

Pending an announcement this Thursday, the Camaro will in fact be going into production.

Camaro to roar back by 2008

Just as I said I would, I've been putting money aside for the launch of both the Challenger and the Camaro. I am leaning towards the Camaro, since it's sharp edge styling screams modern muscle with just enough flashes of retro. The Challenger on the other hand, well, it looks like the 1970 Challenger in which I already own. The Camaro is said to have 3 engines available, a V6 and two V8's. I would assume that the V8's will likely be the 5.3 and 6.0 engines. With a possible LS7 427 cubic inch option available a few years down the road, and who knows, maybe even the rumored supercharged version the Corvette will supposedly get, sporting a supercharged 650 hp.

While the article questions how many will line up to buy a Camaro with gas prices at $3.15 a gallon, I think they are forgetting something. These cars have NEVER been gas guzzlers. My 18 year old Formula knocks down 22 mpg (though usually 20 mpg the way I drive), my dad's 1995 Formula knocked down 27 mpg prior to his 4.10 gear installation, even then, it still gets around 23 mpg. I read an article somewhere that stated the new Camaro will approach 30 mpg. I'm sorry, but if it can knock down nearly 30 mpg, and still make around 400 hp, I wouldn't think too many would hesitate in buying one. In fact, I would venture to say their key market will likely be that of my parent's generation. Folks in their mid 50's, with kids moved out, now not needed that SUV or full size pickup and having grown tired of the poor gas mileage.

I was a bit spoiled while driving my mom's Aurora these passed couple weeks, as it knocks down 25 mpg even at speeds averaging around 80-85 mph. I tell ya what, those few mpg make a huge difference, as I didn't have to refill the tank mid week like I do with my car. All in all, great to see that in a few years all the Big 3 will have their pony cars resurrected and back doing battle. It's been 30 years since the trio has played with one another.

No comments: