Thursday, January 19, 2006

Your first car and the impact it had

For some, it's just a means of transportation. For others, it was their stepping stone into the world of an automotive hobbyist. As has been stated, my first car was a 1989 Firebird with a 305 V8 and 5 speed transmission. It was a fun car, one that left me wanting to learn more about cars in my quest to make it both faster and better handling. Other friends of mine also had first cars that left a lasting impression. One had 1978 Ford Fairmont with a 5.0L and 5 speed, another had a 1973 Chevelle Laguna. All three of us eventually parted ways with those cars, mine was totaled, both of theirs I believe were sold. Yet all three of us still had a love for those first cars we owned.

Within the past few years all three of us have come full circle and once again own the same models we did when we got our licenses. For me, I didn't just want the same car, I wanted the best of the best, the lightest/fastest model they made, the Formula version and it had to be the same color, Maui Blue, as my first. By choosing this model I didn't have the option of a 5 speed, as apparently the transmission couldn't handle the torque of the bigger 350 cubic inch engine. When it came down to either a 5 speed or the bigger engine, I went with the bigger engine. My ride is once again my daily driver, where as my other two friends have chosen to make theirs their toys.

The one with the Fairmont is going the whole 9 yards. He is building a 460 Big Block Ford with an 8-71 blower on top. This baby will likely pump out around 600-700 hp easily. The car will have a full roll cage installed and is currently undergoing tubbing.

The other friend with the 1973 Laguna, his too is one of his extra cars. His has a 454 Big Block Chevy pumping out around 500 hp. This baby sounds almost identical to my Camaro before I pulled it off the road, so needless to say, everytime he fires it up it puts a smile on my face.

I have my other toys, the one on par with my friends two cars would be my Camaro. It too is going the extra mile, pushing the limits of streetability in a quest for more power. Yet I haven't ignored my daily driver by any means. The suspension has been updates with new rubber bushings, I have Koni shocks up front, and MSD coil. I will continue to upgrade stuff as maintenance is needed. Eventually I will rebuild an engine for it as well. I am starting to ponder what direction I wish to head with that rebuild and just how radical I want to go. I believe I can get around 400 hp and maintain close to my current gas mileage.

In the car world, it's amazing how much you find you have in common with other people. I had another friend at college whom also had a 5 speed 305 Firebird as his first car, his was a Trans Am. To this day he still holds a strong love for these cars and will likely get another some day. In the mean time, he headed down the same path as I, the vintage muscle car route. His baby is a 1972 Olds Cutlass in which he built a fuel injected 455. The car was recently restored from the ground up and turned out beautifully! Although it sits in much the same manner as mine, still apart and not running. That is yet another aspect gearheads have in common, our inability to not finish projects in the original time frame we planned. That's ok by me though, as half the fun is wrenching on them, driving them is the reward. I purchased my Challenger to tide me over while I tore my Camaro apart, having had both set for several years now, I bought my Formula to tide me over while BOTH sit. So I remain happy, even while my other two cars sit.

No comments: