Friday, December 16, 2005

Stupid car tricks

Every now and then I will have an entry in regards to stupid car tricks. Today we will discuss one from back in the mid 90's in which a fellow high school friend was riding co-pilot.

As we approached the intersection of M-52 and Gorman I dropped the car into second gear while pushing the clutch in. I was traveling at about 55 mph. About 10 yards or so prior to the intersection I cranked the wheel sideways, gave it full throttle, and dumped the clutch. My Firebird entered a power slide onto the cross road, across the oncoming line, and half way into the ditch. At that point both my friend and I thought the car was going over for sure. I stayed on the throttle, came out of the ditch, leaving a rut and a single black mark on the road from the one wheel peel that lasted for months. My friend looks over at me and says "Dude, that was fuckin' awesome!" All the while I was still pretty white knuckled over the incident, but it did give me a good idea of just how far the limits of my car were. There isn't much out there in the terms of performance driving more enjoyable than a drift through a corner, especially with rear wheel drive where you can use the throttle to steer the car.

Continued power slides and donuts eventually lead to the bearings in the rear end going out. It was an opportune time to swap out the 3.08 gears and install a set of 3.73's. The acceleration difference felt as if the car just picked up 50 hp.

No comments: