Monday, April 15, 2013

1968 Pontiac Firebird - $500

I spotted this car while on a police run a few years back.  I'd been by it many times since, though hadn't bothered to try and find the owner.  Curiosity got the better of me, and I knocked upon the door today.  The car is a rough one, no doubt about it.  I really had no idea what the owner would be asking for it, or whether it even had an engine or one that ran.  These cars always seem to be the "I'm gonna restore it one day" or "I want Barrett Jackson price" types.  After finally greeting the owner, I found the car to have a Pontiac 350 which ran, and was started about twice a year.  Backed by a TH350, I didn't inquire about the rear, and was unsure if the owner would have even known, as he repeatedly referred to the engine as a "Rocket Motor," which was exclusive to Olds, and I doubt had found it's way between the fenders.

I was honestly inquiring for somebody else, whom stated they were looking for a 67-69 Firebird or Camaro.  I had forewarned them, I knew where one was, but it was a project car.  I was somewhat shocked when the owner responded with "I don't know, probably $500."  Having restored my 69 Camaro, I'm already well aware of the aftermarket that offers pretty much every part needed to restore such a car.  $500?  That almost seems like a no brainer...even without knowing just how bad the rust is under the car. For $500, at the very least, it could be cut up and turned into a race car on the cheap, without thinking twice about it.The ideas running through my head are endless, and I already have one, perhaps even two, places in which to store it until a full on restoration in the VERY distant future.  $500, man, I don't see how I could go wrong.


20130413_200322

20130413_200333

20130413_200346

20130413_200418

1 comment:

Brian said...

You can find out what the car came with from the factory by ordering a PHS doc set from www.phs-online.com

Come join in on the 1st generation firebird forum if you have any questions about Firebirds.

www.http://firstgenfirebird.org

Gus68