Monday, March 10, 2014

2014 Ridler Winner - 1964 Riviera "Rivision"

159
Behold, the 2014 Detroit Autorama Ridler Award Winner!

I knew when I saw this car that it would likely be a front runner for the Riddler.  Once I realized the amount of work that went into this creation, I figured it would be the likely winner.  What we have is a 1964 Riviera with a 1971 Boat Tail rear grafted to the car.  In addition, there is obviously TONS of other custom body work.  Like many others, I too was initially fooled into believing this was a mid-engine car.  Truth is, it's Big Block Chevy powered under the hood, though the twin turbos pushing it to 850 hp are mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  There is so much going on in the back that a quick glance had most believing the engine was also tucked inside.  Somewhat oddly, the plumbing for the turbo was routed into the firewall, though the cowl, the interior, and back to the rear of the car.  It's always nice to see something other than a streetrod win the Ridler, and this car was VERY deserving.


160
I absolutely love the lines of this car.


161
Check out that rear exhaust between the tail lights!


1 comment:

Geoffrey said...

Wow, I just lost all respect for the Ridler Award. The build may be clean, the engineering may be first rate, but that has to be one of the ugliest customs I've ever seen - HUGE middle finger to the beauty of Rivieras. What were the judges thinking? The builder seems to have no design sense at all.