Friday, February 21, 2014

Challenger Update - 2/21/2014

Looking through my blog, I realized I haven't touched by dad's '70 Challenger since November 2012.  Having kids, and most notably a newborn, has that effect on car projects I've found.  That said, the time has come to start pushing dad to get this car back on track.  I've changed my thinking regarding the engine, but the pro-touring theme for the car will continue.


The engine, as opposed to a 400 stroked to 500 ci, has been downsized to a 451.  After reading about such a stroker, I was sold.  For one, the rod to throw ratio is much better, leading to much longer durability from less side thrust.  Also, with the 500, I was venturing down the same road as I did with my Camaro.  Horsepower would have easily been more than we wanted or desired. I know, I know...I can't believe those words came out of my mouth either.   As it is, this aluminum headed 451 should easily be in the 500-550 hp range, and rev insanely fast to around a 6,500 redline.  All while hopefully obtaining 13-15 mpg highways with a 5 speed manual.



I almost have the engine build down, and hope to get my proposal to my engine builder in the next few weeks.  Hopefully I can get dad to also order his Reilly Motorsports front suspension and Wilwood braking system, so we can get the front of the car back together and ready to go.  With some luck, we will have a running/driving car ready for body work by next winter.

No comments: