Thursday, June 14, 2012

About to fire her up!

Ok, so maybe I'm not ready to fire her up right now...but, if I had gas, she'd be ready to go.  I'm trying to hold off this year until everything is ready to go, instead of jumping the gun, starting her up, and not finishing tasks such as proper routing of fuel lines, securing wiring, etc.

The clamp kit I bought from Jegs  to secure my fuel lines and power cable turned out to be a pile of shit.  The clamps were fine, but the threaded inserts were total trash.  After a few attempts, with results that left the inserts either spinning inside their holes when tightening the bolt, or the insert coming apart while trying to get a nice, tight, pressed fit.  I resorted to some 10-24 screws, nuts, and lock washers I had to secure the power to the pinch weld down the side of the car.  I am however still left with the issue of securing the fuel lines, as well as both fuel and power to the frame near the wheel well.  I'm going to try and stop at the nut and bolt hardware place around the corner to see what other options will work with my clamps.

Other than that, I need to readjust my fans, as they all seem to be a little tight in the shroud due to the housing distorting slightly over the winter.  I also need either a few sheets of metal or plastic to create a backing to mount my speedometer and tach to.  Both are installed and wired up, but both are also simply sitting unsecured in their respective pods.  I also need to wire up the interior power gauge lights, which is just a matter of plugging in the bulbs and connecting a couple wires.

Ready or not, I'll probably fire the engine tomorrow, just to hear her rumble.  She should be on the road within a week, and ready for the Downriver Cruise at the end of the month.  Sadly, once again I will will not be making the Gratiot Cruise with my Camaro.  I need to work on my sense of urgency come next winter, as all too often June just about comes and goes before I get the Camaro on the road.  Granted, I only miss a show or two, they are shows I'd like to have my car at.  At least come come winter the planned projects, a trans rebuild and new rear end, are no where near the calibur of projects I took on this winter.  With a little luck, I'll be able to return to the track in 2013!  Until then, stay tuned for video with a little rumble to it.

No comments: