Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Intake installed...sort of.

With my intake bolt recovered, I could now move forward. First thing was first, I wanted to get that intake on so that lifter valley was covered up. I put my gaskets in place, ran my beads of RTV, and let it sit for 10 minutes. I then sat the intake in place and began running the bolts in...and I realized yet another difference with this intake, the flange is thicker...or my intake bolts shrank. A comparison to my Victor Jr confirmed it, the Super Victor intake does in fact have a thicker flange. I was able to get about 8 of 12 bolts installed, though at about 2 threads top. A call to Edelbrock confirmed it, though they didn't have a part number, they suggested 1/4" longer bolts. A call to ARP got me the part number I needed.

In addition to the bolts, I ordered up a new water neck/gasket, a 1" carb spacer, and longer carb studs to account for the spacer. Of course, I forget the fuel pump block off plate, but there is always something and I have plenty of fuel line and fittings to order in the near future. I then went back to working. I removed the starter along with the front clip wiring. All the wiring is ready to pull through the firewall. The rear clip won't take long, and there really isn't much wiring inside the car. Once removed, I can start routing the new harness.

While I obviously couldn't install the carb, I did sit it atop the intake, just to see how it looks. I really hate to cover the thing up with an air cleaner! I took a look at the oil pan, realized that the gasket had actually ripped while trying to lower the pan. The new one was already on the way, so for the time being, the pan was left loose. Steady as she goes, but at least she's going forward.







No comments: