Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chevy's New Nova: Code 130R

076

Chevrolet Code 130R. A concept vehicle that seems to have been designed with a great chance of going to production.

Ok, so maybe it's not called the Nova, and considering the age group they are going for, perhaps resurrecting the Nova name plate is not the direction they want to go. Yet do people really get excited over names like "Code 130R?" In my opinion, "Nova" should still get the nod.

073


The Code 130R (that's seriously just way too much to say) really caught my attention at this year's show. I liked the styling, as it blended today's Chevy face with a Camaro rear, and packaged it into a small car. I couldn't help but envision the first generation Nova the more I looked at it. It reminded me of the Nova not because of it's styling, but in regards to size and weight, and a market that really no longer exists. While similar cars in size exists, they lack excitement and performance in my opinion. There isn't a car this size currently built that gets my blood pumping. I will admit though, it wasn't until I saw the Scion FR5 that the gears in my head started turning, and I realized the true potential this Chevy has.

Here is how to lay it out in my opinion. Make minimal to no changes to the concept design. Secondly, make it light. The Scion is in the 2,700 lbs range, which equates to an excellent power to weight ratio. The majority of sales will include 4 & 6 cylinder engines. However, offer up a 5.3 LS (327) as an SS option. Keep it under 3,000 lbs with the V8, offer it with a 6 speed transmission, and you should still have a 32+ mpg car with the V8. You don't have to go crazy with the power, but 325 hp or so would be nice. I realize that you could put a turbo 4 or 6 in it and still achieve 300+ hp, but I'm from the mindset that likes the sound of a V8. I really don't care if the 4 banger makes the power if it sounds like a Hoover. It absolutely HAS to be rear wheel drive!

Lastly, you need to keep the price in check. I would love a new Camaro, but I'm not sure I will ever bring myself to spend $35,000+ to get a Camaro optioned the way I'd like. Even if I could, I am greatly disappointed in the fact that it weighs nearly 4,000 lbs, and would get the same or worse mileage as my daily driven 1989 Pontiac Formula. I mean seriously, aside from the 426 hp, where is the 20+ years of technology? Build this new Nova, fully optioned, V8 powered, and backed with a 6 speed, all for around $22,000, and I would seriously consider buying one.

I really liked the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice, but felt they were a bit heavier than they needed to be, and didn't have the type of power available I would have liked to see. A new Nova could fill the void left by the Solstice/Sky. Lastly, offer it in a convertible, to satisfy the topless crowd. I honestly feel this could be not only a hot seller, but one of the best handling/performing cars for the price to come out of GM in years. What do you think? Should GM build such a car? I suspect that some version of this car will go into production, but I fear it will be wrong wheel drive, 4 cylinder powered, lack the handling, and weigh 3,500+ lbs, and most importantly, not be of any interest to this potential buyer.


075

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can vote for the Code 130R on the official GM website! http://social-gen.com/ycd_survey/index.php?s=2

Anonymous said...

You can also join the fan page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/250698485001606/

Patrick Gauer said...

Hmm, some people prefer to have heavy cars while others want it the other way. The important thing for everyone is the car's performance, regardless of whether it's light or not. The owner must have a satisfying driving experience in the end. The car's exterior and interior would matter next after the performance.