Tuesday, August 09, 2011

A car that'll make a grown man giggle like a school girl

Last Friday, after hitting a local car cruise, I stopped by an old friend's house. This friend and I go way back, all the way to high school. Though he was a few grades ahead of me, he had a passion for cars (and trucks) which would inevitably cause us to become not only good friends, but also lear us into careers, and later former careers for both of us, in the auto industry working with the Big 3. While neither one of us miss the industry, we are both still passionate about everything hot rod.

My friend had yet to ride in my Camaro since my latest reincarnation of it. Without hesitation, I told him "hop in," and we hit the road. With camera or camera phone in hand, my friend made a couple of short 7-10 second videos. The one that makes me laugh the most however, is the video where he laughs uncontrollably after a tire squealing launch.

I'm sure the same reaction could have been recorded back in the 1990's when we took one of many "test drives" in his 1969 Dodge D100 pickup, packing a stroked 383 (I think to a 426) with tunnel ram jumping out of the engine bay. I'm not sure of the engine specs all were, but without a doubt it was a good 450-500 hp engine, and the fastest thing I ever rode in at that time. The difference with that ride, is the young man giggling like a school girl would have been me.

I still have that passion, and the rediculously amount of horses my car is producing still makes me giggle, laugh, smile, and even swear now and then. As this engine was neary completion, I began to question whether or not I went too far this time around, whether or not it would still be enjoyable. With my 80 mile cruise around Metro Detroit a few nights ago, I can say without a doubt, I did it right, and next time, I'll probably go bigger, go blower, or go turbo. Either way, I'm sure I'll push things a little further, and smile a little larger.

Unfortunately, the format doesn't seem to allow me to easily load the video onto my blog, so you'll have to visit it where it was posted on my wall on Facebook below. Make sure you "like" the page after you stop in. The video with "the laugh" is the 10 second video a little ways down the page.

Facebook Motor City Muscle

No comments: