Wednesday, January 04, 2006

American Muscle is back!

Weeks ago I saw the first spy shots of the concept Challenger that would be at this year's auto show. I was truly amazed, though remained skeptical. It could have easily been a doctored up 1970 Challenger somebody was passing off as a concept Challenger. The resemblence to the original was remarkable! After reading the article and seeing the accompanying picture, courtesy of The Detroit News, "Pony up," I was truly amazed. They actually had a 1970 Challenger in the studio while they were mocking up the new concept. It is hardly any different at all, asided from looking a bit wider down the sides and having some wheel that fit the wheel wells. Comparing it to a picture of mine shows just how close they are to one another. What is hard to see is the body lines have been retained, as have the fog lights below, the grill opening, the grill shape itself, lower air opening, roofline, hood lines, and most everything else. I'm already seeing the dollar signs in my head ringing up, as if it hasn't increased in value enough. In fact, even if they weren't to build this car (though it appears they are), it would still drive the value of mine even higher. Just getting the name and style out there places it in peoples heads, next thing ya know, they want one. The downside is that rumor has it that it won't exactly tip the scales "Pony car" style. I read that it may come in at no less than 4,100 lbs. Thats quite porkly for a car that time, though my original weighs in at 3600 lbs, which by 1960's standards was several hundred pounds heavier than the Camaro and Mustang. I suppose that is where the hemi stepped in and showed them who was boss.

Not to be outdone, Chevy is also unveiling a retro Camaro concept that is suppose to strikingly resemble the 1969 from what I am told. One would assume that the powertrain would be along the lines of the Corvette, just as it always has been. An LS derived engine, likely in the neighborhood of 400 hp with a higher power version available. The good old 6 speed and 4L60 auto for the transmission. It would be great to see all three pony cars battling it out once again, two of which would be brought back from the dead. The Challenger being gone since 1974.

Tonight I'll tried to tackle my car issues. I was about to pull the distributor out for further inspection when I found I could unbolt the electronics from it for easier viewing. In doing so I didn't find anything wrong with the terminals, I was hoping to find one bent off to the side, as one harness plugged in slightly hard. What I soon stumbled upon was my cause for eratic idle! I found a dry rotted vacuum hose for the cruise control that was nearly split in half. Well, that should take care of the idle woes. Upon start up it still seems to run a bit rough, I'll find out for sure on the drive to work in the morning. I did throw my timing light on it after unplugging the wire that controls the advance. Everything checked out ok, 2 degrees higher than stock, right where I set it. I then hooked the wire back up and attempted to check my total timing advance. May have some issues here, as total advance seems to be in the neighborhood of 18 degrees or so, when it should be around 34 or so I'm guessing. More trouble shooting will follow it appears.

No comments: